Tuesday 17 March 2015

IS READING SYDNEY SHELDON A CRIME? THIS IS 2014 A.D. AND NOT 204 B.C.

Deja-vu of sorts, childhood days suddenly brought to mind the restriction of Sidney Sheldon novels from the school library. We were only allowed to pick them if we were the senior most. School seniors had enlightened me that there were erotic slabs in his stories. Not to mention, a friend refused to take up the books as they were ‘lewd’ and would ‘corrupt’ him--Jesus Christ, I felt what on Earth is stuffed in her top floor! What value does the brilliance of plot, sheer resolve of the female protagonist have? One must be at arm’s length to such audacious literary creations--I was hinted by him. Then there were those who seemed to read only those passages describing sex, ‘wierdom’ in full throttle. It is drilled into young minds right from childhood, Sex, Erotica, Lust; one shall stay away from it. My sole question is, why?
The other day I was reading Sidney’s autobiography. Believe you me! There were portions where I could relate with the legend. This does not mean I live in Alice in Wonderland. It makes me sad as I know, for sure, these exercises are practiced in the first world countries. They embrace sex and love with grace, and that is how it is supposed to be. In our society, during our childhood, we were in the oblivion about these natural phenomena called ‘SEX’. It was wrong! Our parents…teachers refused to talk about it which I felt like shying away from their ‘responsibility’. Now, do not hit the roof but understand why I feel it should be a part of their ‘responsibility’.
I think not talking to your kids about sex is wrong--so wrong that it’s almost like child exploitation for me. Pardon me, for being bold --but it’s simply what I feel.

Choosing to raise a child to adulthood is a responsibility, and a part of that responsibility is to prepare them for being an adult-- in the adult world.


The reason why most parents and teachers are too scared to talk about sex with their kids is probably because they come from generations which were not at ease talking about SEX. Moral science, a bubble of feel-good ideas that most parents and teachers grew up with want to pass on to their kids. Uneducated folks raise uneducated kids, and the cycle continues.

Children should learn the basics of animal reproduction from about age 7. A lot of people think that the time is not ripe. I know people who were having sex at 8-9. They didn't know what they were doing, it felt good, it was fun and they didn't use protection.
About 5 years ago, there was a whole bunch of 10 year olds who had a STD that had been passed around by their peers because nobody had taken the initiative to enlighten them about safe sex. Ignorance leads to risky and dodgy behavior!

These days communication is more important than ever. With the increased spread of dangerous sexually transmitted infections, talking about sex you could literally save your life. While the cold mechanics of safer sex may seem a bit unromantic, some of the alternatives - embarrassing trips to the clinic, unsightly diseases, or even death -- aren’t exactly sexy/cool either. In the end, whether you practice safe sex is your sole discretion, but whatever your choice is, it’s a good idea to understand the benefits and risks associated with your decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment